Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Where Civilization Began...

Holy smokes, the last post I did was in MAY!!!  There actually has been a lot going on around here that I have tons of pictures for, just need to find the time.  I'll make sure to get a few posts together and fill you in on all the activities we've been up to.  Don't want you all to go through withdrawals.

But to start....here's an inside look at our trip to Greece.

J and some of his friends from College decided to gather the families for a holiday and we decided on Greece.  Our family spent a couple days in Athens to show the kids where civilization began and some of Mommy's roots (I'm one quarter Greek), and to see some buildings that are older than they can possibly fathom at this age.  It's even hard for me!

Backstory...When J and I just started dating he decided that (at three months in) he needed to wow me with something big to keep me enamoured with him (not necessary but who am I to complain) and he planned a trip to Athens.  He said I should see where both my Greek roots and civilization originated.

Now eight years later it was great returning to the scene with our little family in tow.

Hangin' out in the Plaka District...




Yummmm, a little Starbucks break!


Just some odd ruins found under a building.


Heading up to the Acropolis...



The ancient Theater of Dionysus... 
Us in 2004...
Entering Acropolis...
And finally, the Parthenon. :)
 

The Erechtheion.
Close up of the Caryatides on the Erechtheion.
The Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
Theater Dionysus.
 Back in Athens, just outside Plaka...

Changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  If you get in the way of these guys,
they won't stop.  They'll actually walk over you without a look back!
The "Changing of the Guard dance".   

Personally I think a long weekend in Athens is enough.  Get your hotel in the Plaka Distict (their old town), hang out there, eat some amazing food, see the monuments that surround it, and you're good.  But upon saying that, it's so perfect you'll want to do it again, and maybe even again.

After our weekend in Athens we headed to Olympia in the Peloponnese and landed at the Olympia Golden Beach Resort and Spa.  Lovely.  We had a three apartment villa with it's own pool.  Perfect for the three families to spend time together and bond.  In addition to lounging in the sun, having massages, and swimming whenever we felt the desire (yes, a tough vacation), T turned seven and E kicked off the arm bands and swam for the first time on her very own.



E's first try at swimming.  She said the heck with arm bands, I'm gonna
swim!  Good job E!
The Prince and his Princesses.  T was one of seven kids, and the only boy!  Looks
 like a lucky one at that!!

This guy showed up on my lounger one morning and wouldn't leave.  I decided to rest with
him and then found he'd ventured onto my hand.  Finally I put him back in the bushes.
He wasn't at all bothered by my invasive photography!

Ahhh, this is the life!
Looks like some body's happy to be seven. 

Our one day at the beach.  T and E preferred the pool.   Hmmm, spoiled from
living so close to the sea???

T and his harem at the main pool. 




Needless to say the kids were very unhappy to leave paradise and return home, to paradise.  Do they know how good they have it??  When I was a kid we went to the Ozarks for a holiday!  Can't wait to go back, to Greece that is. :)

1 comment:

  1. You are always welcome guys, but please next time put your one quarter of Greek in place and try some greek stuff not Starbucks :-p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...