Saturday, September 1, 2012

A License to Drive...

Well, the move to Monaco is just around the corner.  The apartment is just about finished and we'll move slowly this month as we have to wait WEEKS to get our furniture from all different stores delivered.  Whew, didn't realize furnishing and decorating a new place could be so stressful!  Isn't this stuff supposed to be fun?!?!

Here's a sneak peak at the apartment...a before and after of the living/dining room...


Behind that far wall was a kitchen...
Now behind that far wall is our Master bedroom and bathroom.
And finally, I've been awarded my Carte de Residence.  Break open the champagne, I am now a full fledged Monegasque.  Well, one of the expat ones at least.  And being a Monegasque means I must get a Monaco drivers licence.  Ok, not a problem.  Until I go to take the test I'm sure. But that will be another post.  This time I'll just tell you about J's experience and what we learned....

So, he goes to change his license, the lucky Brit didn't have to take a test, and the man gives him his new Monaco one and then casually mentions that it's only valid in Monaco.  Hmmm, since Monaco is soooo small you could fit two into Central Park, that doesn't give him much room to roam.  So, he says that's not very convenient since he'll be traveling farther than Monaco, OFTEN.  So, the man says, you can get an international one.  (Why this had to be an afterthought we're not sure.) So of course J says yes, give me one of those.  Tap, tap, tap, print, stamp, there you go.  

Now, J asks about my license renewal, just in case we need to know something special about this process, which inevitably you do since the French aren't very forthcoming with offering info you might need.  You don't ask, you dont' get.  Never expect someone will just offer up helpful information around here, takes too much effort.

Anyway, it seems that since I'm American, I need to take a full driving test AND my American license is no good in Monaco.  So, seems that every time I drive into Monaco right now I'm tempting fate.  And there are A LOT of police in Monaco and they'll pull you over for just looking funny.  Will need to get this one sorted fast!

Crazy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...